Most of our clients have come through referrals, recommendations and repeat business. Our focus is on emerging markets, but we have also successfully executed mandates in Europe and the United States. We work both on behalf of investors and investees, and we are transparent about potential conflicts of interest.
We have listed below some of our recent mandates. Due to privacy and confidentiality reasons, we may not name certain specific clients and the list below omits certain mandates. (references from previous clients are available upon request)
- Supporting Bioversity International on the design and structuring of financial instruments based on the Agrobiodiversity Index. By linking scientific research to risk assessment tools and funding mechanisms, investors can catalyze change at scale and shift global markets.
- Developing an investment strategy for a vertically integrated agri-business, and facilitating interactions with potential investors (commercial and concessional), leading to securing of significant funding.
- Leading the development of sector specific guidance for the Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU) sectors for the Climate Bonds Standard. The Climate Bonds Initiative, which manages the standard represents investors with Assets Under Management (AUM) of over USD 34 trillion. Clarmondial helped to raise significant funds to support the work, which was sponsored by Credit Suisse, SECO and Rabobank, and mobilized the participation of several leading international research organisations and corporates.
- Research for the Technical Centre for Agriculture and Rural Cooperation (CTA) – a joint international institution of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States and the European Union (EU) on opportunities to utilise value chain financing approaches for climate resilience and adaptation investments.
- Developing a thought piece for Credit Suisse and the Climate Bonds Initiative on opportunities for market rate debt instruments to fund ecosystem conservation.
- Spinning a commercial social enterprise out of an international foundation: this included financial structuring, identifying appropriate legal and operational support and on-going management development, in particular linked to investment strategy.
- Developing a business plan and a financial model for an East African company providing mobile agronomic advice to farmers to promote good agricultural practices.
- Originating a significant portfolio of renewable energy and land-related investments in South East Asia for a Swiss client: this included origination, due diligence, structuring and investment management support.
- Identifying opportunities for innovative Climate Smart Agriculture financing mechanisms, in collaboration with a Government agency and a well-known international organisation.
- Advising a Development Finance Institution (DFI) on strategies to structure a facility to promote investment into early stage clean tech Small & Medium sized Enterprises (SMEs) in emerging markets, and building a network of potential co-investors.
- Assessing the portfolio of forestry and agriculture projects of a large international organisation, and developing a strategy for taking these to impact investors.
- Working with a well-known international conservation organisation and partners to assess potential investment opportunities in three South East Asian landscapes (focussed on Indonesia), in order to develop a strategy for a new program “Impact In the Forests”.
- Working with a well-known international conservation network to evaluate forest landscape restoration investment opportunities in 4 countries.
- Supporting various start-ups in sub Saharan Africa and South East Asia; providing mentorship, strategic advice and investor introductions.
- Structuring a trust fund for investing in sustainable land use in a South East Asian country in collaboration with a European donor agency.
- Developing an investment strategy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation and forest degradation in two East African countries on behalf of the East African Community.